Colorado’s costumed mascot, Chip the Buffalo, was carted off during the Buffaloes’ win over New Hampshire on Saturday with an undisclosed injury.
At the time, the incident was being described as a “T-shirt gun malfunction,” which left a lot of room for interpretation.
Something you don’t see every day: Chip the Buffalo’s t-shirt gun malfunctioned and he had to be carted off the field! Never took his head off though… respect the commitment #footballguy pic.twitter.com/qi0lrPM4Dk
— Lindsay Joy (@LindsayJoyTV) September 15, 2018
On Wednesday, video circulated of what exactly happened to Chip, and oh man, it really was the most unfortunate T-shirt gun malfunction we’ve seen. Chip accidentally shot himself in the groin with a T-shirt gun from point-blank range.
So here is that video of CU’s COSTUMED mascot getting injured last Saturday, for those who asked. Let’s just call this one a loss of wind … https://t.co/YYRNRdcm5h
— Nick Kosmider (@NickKosmider) September 19, 2018
That understandably resulted in the cart off the field. It all makes sense now.
This really happened! Colorado mascot, Chip, passed out mid game and the medical team had to come load him on the cart and drive him to the locker room. pic.twitter.com/ZNX5v471Vr
— Chimin’ In (@ChiminInMedia) September 17, 2018
Chip — or someone in the Chip costume — would return to the game, so Colorado still celebrated its win with the costumed mascot.
I’m good guys! Thanks for all the love pic.twitter.com/VK9vKm8xvM
— Chip the Buffalo (@Chipthebuffalo) September 15, 2018
He’ll be back for Colorado’s game against UCLA after the bye week.